Monday, November 3, 2014

Turkey Writing: Short Research Writing, Challenges & Activities

Hello!
       It's been awhile since I've been on this blog...so it's good to be back. It's hard to believe another Halloween has come and gone...and now sadly, the candy is, too!
       I thought I'd post my latest revision of a resource that's been a popular one for beginning researchers. Four main topics are presented with pre-writing maps, and templates to get young writers going. My students have a tough time getting started...and I have a tough time figuring out where to begin. But a solid prompt that interests them (key factor!) and a pre-writing template can make a big difference in their success. It's my experience that this time of year is most interesting to the kids...NOT because of Thanksgiving...but because they are interested in the way our ancestors lived, dressed, and ate. They particularly want to learn more about the Native Americans who were a huge part of our American history. Squanto, Massasoit, and the Wampanoag are hot topics with third graders. There are so many opportunities to expand research...and making artifacts is just one way to extend their studies. This resource will give them a start....and you'll find plenty out there to expand on these topics! 

        I think the improvements I've made in this product will make a difference...and that teachers find this to be a way to motivate and scaffold hesitant writers, too. Let me know what you think! 

The image below shows just a sampling of the 23 pages in this pack. Thanks for checking this out! ~Karen



K is for Kindness (And Yes! Kindness Matters!)

Hello!   January is on the downside slope and we're quickly approaching February.  But it's not too late to start the year with a re...