Saturday, November 3, 2012

Choral Reading and Readers' Theaters

My younger students get so excited when they do a readers' theater. They really do feel like super stars. It's such a great opportunity to improve fluency and comprehension skills.  This month of November, I will have my second grade reading group do one just before Thanksgiving break. We have such little time to do a real play, so a readers' theater is ideal. Although it is easy to create your own script from a favorite story, there are plenty out there that you can print out. 

After Thanksgiving Note: My crew ended up doing a very nice readers' theater on Squanto, which I adapted from Weekly Reader. This was the best segue for kids to write a report on this famous Early American peacemaker.











K is for Kindness (And Yes! Kindness Matters!)

Hello!   January is on the downside slope and we're quickly approaching February.  But it's not too late to start the year with a re...